History

The history of Resopal is a model of industrial history. The beginnings of the company date back to the production of marginal products of the classical textile industry. New areas of application arise with the arrival of new branches of industry. The production of insulating materials for the emergent electrical industry leads the company to experiment with synthetic resins and with its research Resopal becomes a pioneer in plastics technology. The large-scale industrial production of technical laminates for the electrical industry leads in turn to the invention of decorative laminates for the furniture industry, in which the company finally specializes and where even today it is still pushing with the same pioneering spirit.

In November 16, 1867 August Hermann Römmler founds a company in Spremberg in the Lower Lusatia for recycling waste from the cloth and hat manufacture. The production of cotton flocks as a filler for gramophone record production brings Römmler into contact with plastics at an early stage. Until 1905 Hermann Römmler junior developed the manufacture of electrotechnical insulating materials for mass production by using such plastics. The electrotechnical department becomes independent and advances to the leading special factory for high-quality insulating materials. With the development of the pressure-heat process for hardenable plastics Römmler soon becomes next to the Bakelite company the pioneer in plastics technology.

In 1917 the company is converted into a joint stock company with administrative headquarters in Berlin.  From 1919 onwards the phenol formaldehyde condensation method developed in the laboratory is used on a large industrial scale for the production of synthetic resins, mouldings and insulating boards. In the 1920s the Römmler AG develops pressed materials on the basis of formaldehyde resins and secures in the long term with patents a leading position in the field of aminoplastics.

In 1929 BBC acquires a holding in the company and in 1930 it acquires the majority shareholding before taking it over completely in 1938.

In 1930 Römmler registers the RESOPAL® patent and produces the first decorative boards. The galley in a zeppelin is fitted out in red RESOPAL® laminate.  In 1945 the production facilities, in which lastly 2500 people were employed, are completely dismantled by the Soviet occupation forces.

In 1946 the company resumes the production as insulating materials department of BBC in the old sugar mill on the present company site in Groß-Umstadt. With the modern built-in kitchen and the kidney table of the 1950s Resopal immediately restores its success.

In 1971 the product name, which in the meantime has achieved a degree of brand awareness of 85 percent, also becomes the name of the company.

In 1973 Resopal starts the large-scale industrial production of post-forming worktops and becomes the leading kitchen worktop manufacturer in Germany.

In 1987 the Swiss Forbo AG acquires a majority holing in the BBC subsidiary. As a consequence the building division is expanded. The RESOPLAN® facade board – developed over years - becomes a further supporting pillar of the company.

In 2012 Resopal GmbH became part of Wilsonart International Holdings LLC.